VS: [mapserver-users] [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] can i pass variablestoshp2img?

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Mar 18 12:50:34 EDT 2008

There is quite a lot of good reading on the Mapserver web site, for example:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/new_users

MapServer is designed to be a map server that delivers maps through http for web clients. It does sometimes create image files on server disk and of course you can seach and use those files. Normal usage is still to use some http client for sending map requests and doing something for the image that will be sent back. By running mapserv.exe from command line you won't get much more out of it than program version number and a list of formats it supports.

In order to capture a Mapserver map into an image file I use mostly wget.  It has also a written manual, see
http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html

The commandline you may be searching for is likely close to this:
wget -O outputimage.jpg http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=c:\ms4w\apps\maps\John_Smith.map&mode=map

-Jukka Rahkonen-