AW: [mapserver-users] MapServer and fastcgi-benefits?

Eichner, Andreas - SID-NLK Andreas.Eichner at sid.sachsen.de
Wed Mar 19 06:22:59 EDT 2008

Hello Kai,

fast-cgi is intented to make the handling of _multiple_ requests faster. A normal CGI call involves several steps for every request, mainly
  + do a fork()
  + seed all intended variables into the environment
  + prepare stdin to point to a buffer (or directly to the network socket)
  + exec() the CGI script
  + clean up after all that

Normally this is time consuming so fast-cgi tries to accomplish that by giving a CGI program the possibility to not only handle a single request but to run into a request-handling loop to handle multiple requests. So setup/cleanup time is consumed only once for all those request.
The problem is that "mapserv" opens and parses the mapfile for every request from the ground up which introduces a lot of overhead...

AFAIK, for shapefiles the processing directive "CLOSE_CONNECTION" is simply ignored or has at least no singificant effect. It is intended for databases where the cost for establishing a connection over a network _is_ significant compared to the time required for a query.

You may want to read the "Optimizing raster/vector data sources" howtos from the mapserver website to optimize your data.

Good luck!