[mapserver-users] Customized layer for Mapserver/Kamap

Emilio Ponce yosoycore at gmail.com
Tue May 13 07:32:41 EDT 2008

Hi Florin,

I have a layer with polygons representing cities (stored in PostGIS), and my
idea is to set the colour of these polygons in function of variables like
'population', as I show on my last e-mail.
I'm going to use the same colour for all the polygons, but the colour of the
polygon Barcelona will be lighter than the colour of the polygon Madrid,
because Madrid has more population.

The problem is basically how can I relate the numeric variables like
population with the geometry of every city? If I can do this I supose that
setting the colour will be not a big problem.

Thank you very much!

2008/5/13 Florin A. <pianosnake at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Kamap was designed to only take Mapserver input, yes.
> Mapserver will take most formats.  You can have data in shapefiles, in
> a database, a raster image, or in a text file.
> Do you have polygons for the cities or do you want to just draw a
> circle at their lat/long ?
>

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Emilio Ponce <yosoycore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm working with mapserver using ka-map. Now I'm trying to create a new
> > layer over the others using alphanumeric data, and  I was wondering
>  what's
> > the best method.
> > My idea is to represent this data with a colour gradient. For example if
> the
> > data are like this:
> >
> > City          Population
> > ---------------------------
> > Barcelona 4000000
> > Madrid      7000000
> >
> > I want to represent the Barcelona area with a light red colour, and
> Madrid
> > with a darker red.
> > Someone told me that the only input to Ka-map is mapserver, and
> mapserver
> > uses GDAL/OGR library for this kind of tasks... so what is the best kind
> of
> > input format using this library? And in order to represent the data with
> the
> > colour gradient, where I have to link the alphanumeric data (e.g
> 4000000)
> > with the colour (e.g. dark red)?
> >
> > Thank you very much guys!

Emilio