[mapserver-users] PostGIS or Mysql and GeoMoose.

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue May 13 09:51:33 EDT 2008

On May 13, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Nelson Soto wrote:

> Originally, I had suggested perhaps getting Parellels VM software and
> just bringing a copy of Windows Server 2003 to the table, but my
> performance almost seems better on my test machine... I'm not sure if
> that will apply to concurrent users which is certainly an aspect of
> the issue at hand, but the VM software only detects 1 core... not
> good. We are not looking at VMWare or anything where the license will
> exceed or approach the cost of a new server otherwise we will do so.

Or install Windows Server raw - you can install Windows on Mac Intel
hardware without virtualization (I think you have to use Boot Camp,
for drivers).  I haven't heard of anyone doing this with an Xserve, so
I don't know how complete drivers are.  Another problem with Parallels
is that it doesn't support 64bit OSs yet, so Windows Server would run
in 32bit mode.

> Yes, I realize I can just set up Mapserver for OS X but, in my
> oppinion, it is a very laborious task and I am foreseeing I will be
> the one having to maintain this server and while I myself and
> relatively comfortable maintaining OS X and its Unix skeleton, I want
> to minimize the work I need to do to this server...

If you mean laborious for getting the software compiled and installed,
it's all done.  I maintain OSX binaries for MapServer, Postgres/
PostGIS, PHP ([my] MapServer can't/shouldn't use the OSX PHP), and
various GIS library dependencies as frameworks.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro