[mapserver-users] PostGIS or Mysql and GeoMoose.

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Tue May 13 10:07:18 EDT 2008

Nelson,
David explains my thoughts about the shapefile/performance issue better than I did (in a post that didn't make it to  the listserv).  In a word, the shapefile and mapserver are optimized to have robust access, so they do the job as well as, or in many cases, better than PostGIS in terms of read-only access.

As for the concept of having one machine serve the shapes, and the other generate the maps, this is a matter of preference.  With a Gigabit backplane, I don't see the performance being that much of a problem, but once again, it depends upon the size of the datasets that you will be delivering.  Also, it depends on what else the server may be doing, if the web server has many tasks, and you are doing some fairly intensive geoprocessing stuff, it might be a benefit to have the spatial DB on another box.

Of course, all of this comes down to testing on your own setup to find the most optimal configuration.  And I have to say that you can't go wrong with providing yourself with the *capability* to provide spatial DB power, and load balancing.  That just seems like a smart set of options to keep in your toolbox.

r.b.