[mapserver-users] MapServer vs MS4W FIles To Upload

Kyle Wilcox Kyle.Wilcox at noaa.gov
Tue May 13 21:57:07 EDT 2008

MS4W is an acronym for 'MapServer for Windows', not a solution for a
Unix based web host.

You can try the FGS installer (http://www.maptools.org/fgs/), but being
successful relies on how your hosting company has the server set up.
Try it and see what happens.  It never hurts to call up your hosting
company and talk about your requirements.  Hosts are a dime a dozen;
they often will make a small change for you to keep you happy and keep
your business. Anyone have successful experience with certain hosting
companies?  Hostgis provides an excellent hosting service
(http://www.hostgis.com/).

You can also install Mapserver and its dependencies from source on a
commercial web hosting server.  Judging from your post I would
thoroughly try out the first option.