[mapserver-users] color coding

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed May 14 18:58:39 EDT 2008

Kevin Edmundson wrote:

> I have a layer that I want to color code the features for a specific field.
>

> Is there a way in mapserver to have it automatically color all unique
> values, or do I specifically have to identify the unique value/color
> combinations myself in class items?

No automatic way to do that. In part is is a performance issue, because
you would have to scan all the data to get the set of unique values and
then render only the few items in the window for every request. The way
this gets cached in mapserver is you have to extract the unique values
and then create a CLASS EXPRESSION and assign a color it each item or
group of items based on that.

-Stephen Woodbridge
  http://imaptools.com/