VS: [mapserver-users] Converting datum using ogr2ogr

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu May 15 02:55:36 EDT 2008

Hi Isao,

I am sorry, I must admit that I haven't done my homework with datum shifting.
However, I believe that reason for not getting any change in your reprojection
is because the definition in the FWTools epsg ligrary for epsg:4301 is this:
# Tokyo
<4301> +proj=longlat +ellps=bessel +no_defs  <>

So it gives no towgs parameters which would tell what kind of shifting should
be done.  For comparison, this projection using bessel does have towgs84
parameters and a trial with that should lead to different result:
# Bukit Rimpah
<4219> +proj=longlat +ellps=bessel +towgs84=-384,664,-48,0,0,0,0 +no_defs  <>

If you can find somewhere the towgs84 parameters and insert them to your source
projection you may get what you want.  It is not necessary to edit the epsg text
file but even better to give the projection directly for ogr2ogr this way:

ogr2ogr -s_srs "+proj=longlat +ellps=bessel +towgs84=-384,664,-48,0,0,0,0 +no_defs" -t_srs epsg:4326

Of course with your correct towgs84 parameters.  This way it is simple to play with
adjusting the parameters, and most important, you know for sure what parameters
ogr2ogr is going to use. It is possible that right parameters for you are
TOWGS84=-148,507,685,0,0,0,0 but I can't be sure. It was just the first hit from
altavista search.

-Jukka Rahkonen-