[mapserver-users] testing mapserver large files rendering improvements

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu May 15 11:46:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Stephen Woodbridge
<woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:

> -1 on magic happens.
>   1) performance issues if the files already exist

None.

>   2) what if the filesystem is readonly

Do nothing.

>   3) what if the filesystem overflows

Back out.

>   4) etc

It's not like this is un-precedented, ArcView3 merrily plops useful
index files down next to .shp when it is asked to run ops that need
indexes. It doesn't run slow and force you to figure out you need to
run the "Create Index" option.

In my mind, we should do the right thing by default, and give the
power users the option to opt out, rather than forcing everyone to
become a power user to achieve something as basic as indexed file
access.

P.