[mapserver-users] testing mapserver large files rendering improvements

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu May 15 13:19:41 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS)
<bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:

> 1) how will Mapserver know by default which depth to use for the index? On
> large point shapefiles the default depth can result in negative performance.

This says to me the heuristic needs to be smarter.  I was just
wondering that, when Frank said that the QIX can be larger than the
SHP for points... that is not a given, perhaps the tree building code
needs to be a little smarter

> 2) currently shp2img does not report any error when it does not have write
> permission on Linux, but I guess the new approach will first check write
> permission before doing any analytics?

shptree you mean? right, this will have to check first.

> So it might make sense to have a layer setting to overrule the default
> depth? Or to overrule automatic creation at all for a specific layer?

if this option is enabled at compile time, the ability to shut it off
in the map file will also be enabled.