[mapserver-users] postgis - idle in transaction

Dave Fuhry dfuhry at gmail.com
Tue May 20 17:54:50 EDT 2008

Ivan,

If you shutdown Apache or whatever is running FastCGI, then I assume
mapserver will close those connections.

Pooled mapserver connections certainly are idle in a transaction.
mapserver issues a BEGIN (transaction) when the connection is made,
because the binary cursor queries mapserver issues must be in a
transaction.

If it's a problem to be leaving idle connections in transactions, we
can change things to issue BEGIN right before the DECLARE BINARY
CURSOR query, and ROLLBACK right after the CLOSE CURSOR.  That's two
more database calls though; are they necessary?

The queries never modify data, so the transactions won't be holding
any sort of write locks.  It's very normal for an app to hold a pool
of idle connections to a database.  Is there a reason it's worse when
each of those connections is inside a transaction?

Thanks,

Dave