[mapserver-users] Tracking vehicles, Displaying positions

Carmelo Saffioti csaffi at libero.it
Wed Nov 5 18:31:22 EST 2008

Hi Brent,
thank you very much for your really interesting suggestions.

> 1. Just display the GPS points of the required vehicles in the map.
> 2. Run a query to turn the required points into a linestring on the fly &
display the line.
> 3. Pre build vehicle tracklines according to business rules and display
selected lines in the map.

- these pre-build vehicle tracklines are every possible street on which any
vehicle can move on? (1) could be the solution. How come (2) and (3) are
faster?

> You also haven't said whether you want web maps or hard copy maps. I'm
assuming you are looking at web maps for now, & can print the result if
required.

- I need web maps

> The other issue is that the map needs some background to give your data
context. If necessary you can assemble local datasets of roads,
aerial/satellite imagery, etc to overlay your data on. However I suggest you
consider OpenLayers to provide the maps in your web application. This gives
you easy access to Google & OpenStreetMaps & a range of public WMS/WFS data
as a background without having to manage these data yourself.

- It could be a good idea, but I don't think that exists any map of the zone
I need, because it's a private area, not a public street. So, a public map
could have not every possible street in the zone. On GoogleMaps I saw that
the map of this zone is about 3 years old.

> Using Postgis to manage your spatial data, mapserver to provide it as a
web service & OpenLayers as the client in your application, actually putting
the various layers together to build your map is a very effective toolset
for the sort of thing I think you are trying to achieve.

> If you do need local vector data in addition to your GPS data, then I
don't think CAD is the way to go, as suggested by other respondents,
extracting these into GIS formats is going to work better for you in this
arena.

- So, do you suggest to extract the DWG planimetry into Postgis tables? If
yes, before extracting the DWG, do I need to make it georeferenced?

Thank you again for your help
Cheers
Carmelo

> Hi Carmelo,
>
> I am doing prettyt much this for vessel positions using PostGIS databases
instead of MySQL. I believe PostGIS offers more mature & substantially
better support for spatial objects at present, but you can probably achieve
similar results with MySQL.

> From a data management and display perspective, I suggest you consider
three approaches depending on your needs:

> 1. Just display the GPS points of the required vehicles in the map.
> 2. Run a query to turn the required points into a linestring on the fly &
display the line.
> 3. Pre build vehicle tracklines according to business rules and display
selected lines in the map.

> All are relatively simple to do with PostGIS & Mapserver, and can be
managed with MySQL, although I don't think as easily. (We use mostly option
3, and also option 2, opion 1 is a bit limited & can be somewhat slower to
display)

mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/debian-odbc-mysql/?searchterm=ovf

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/VirtualSpatialData/?searchterm=ovf