[MAPSERVER-USERS] Features not displayed if LABELITEM is null

Philippe Kruschitz p_kruschitz at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:10:01 EST 2008

Hi list,

Is it normal that Mapserver won't draw features if it can't find a string in
the [labelitem] attribute?

I am trying to display a road network and, logically, some of the segments
in it don't have any name attached to them. In this case, there is a NULL
value in the 'name' column of my PostGIS table. Using this column as the
LABELITEM in my layer, Mapserver just seems to skip those records and won't
display them, even if they have a valid geometry.

A workaround is to update all my tables and replace this NULL with an empty
string. I'll probably end up doing just that, but I ain't happy about it, as
my tables contain +30 millions of entries and updating the whole dataset
will take forever.

I was just wondering if someone else had noticed this behaviour before and
if there's another solution.

Tanks,

Philippe