[mapserver-users] Just starting out...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 10 13:12:56 EST 2008

tuckeratwork wrote:
>> 2. Can I define non-rectangular boundaries in the source data including
>> cutouts?  Will MapServer quilt the other raster data to those boundaries
>> and inside the cutouts?

Tucker,

What information do you have now defining the regions for the cutouts?  Are
you expecting to need to manually define polygons for these by digitizing?

If so, I'd suggest you use the gdal_rasterize utility to mask out the area
inside or outside of the polygons as appropriate to some sort of nodata value
(or to explicitly set an alpha transparency band to transparent).

Essentially, I'm suggesting the cutouts should be a preprocessing step before
pushing the raster data into MapServer.

Best regards,