[mapserver-users] ms4w with MapServer Demo...

tuckeratwork tuckeratwork at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 17:41:02 EST 2008

I've really tried to figure it out.  I've searched the forum and I've only
found one other person who had the exact same problem that I'm having - and
no one ever responded to his posting.

I've installed ms4w.  It worked fine.  As background, I'm barely familiar
with Apache.  I then downloaded the "MapServer Demo" which looks like a set
of tutorial datasets based around something called "MapServer Itasca
Application" - this is all from the MapServer New Users document.  I'm now
directed to place the "workshop" folder "someplace in your web tree."  Then
you're supposed to edit index.html and view it in a local browser window.

I put the workshop folder into the Apache/htdocs directory because I believe
that puts it at the root of my localhost server.  And in fact, when I load
http://localhost/workshop/index.html, the html file gets loaded.  The
problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to edit the html file to have
it point to the proper directories for the rest of the MapServer
configuration.

The things that need to be edited in the index.html file are:

        // EDIT THE NEXT 2 LINES TO MATCH YOUR SETUP
        var snippet = "IMAGEPATH '/usr/local/www/docs_maps/tmp/'";
        snippet += " IMAGEURL '/tmp/'";

and

    <!-- EDIT THE FORM ACTION -->
    <form name="demo" method="GET" action="/cgi-bin/mapserv50"
onSubmit="configure()">

and

      <!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->
      <input type="hidden" name="map"
value="/usr/local/www/docs_maps/mapserver_demos/workshop-5.0/itasca.map">
      <input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapserv50">
      <input type="hidden" name="root"
value="/mapserver_demos/workshop-5.0">

I've made scores of edits to those three sections.  This is how I think they
really should be:

        // EDIT THE NEXT 2 LINES TO MATCH YOUR SETUP
        var snippet = "IMAGEPATH '/workshop/tmp/'";
        snippet += " IMAGEURL '/tmp/'";

and

    <!-- EDIT THE FORM ACTION -->
    <form name="demo" method="GET" action="/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe"
onSubmit="configure()">

and

      <!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->
      <input type="hidden" name="map" value="/workshop/itasca.map">
      <input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe">
      <input type="hidden" name="root" value="/workshop">

Launching the index.html file produces:

mLoadMap(): Unable to access file. (/workshop/itasca.map)

The file "htdocs/workshop/itasca.map" does exist but it obviously isn't
going through the Apache path to get there.

What am I doing wrong?  This is terribly embarrassing...