[mapserver-users] Failed to show Arabic labels with MapServer 5.2

Jackey Cheung cheung.jackey at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 05:09:58 EST 2008

Greetings!

We've build the MapServer 5.2 on a Linux server, with fribidi2 0.19.1, to
try show Arabic labels. But the words has been broken down to characters in
the generated images (line.png). Then we've tried on a MS4W 2.3.0 server,
but the images (ms4w.png) are even worse.

We are using PostGIS, and the database is using UTF8 (pgpr.png), while all
Arabic data can be shown correctly (pg.png) on my English Windows XP, and
we've tried some more machines, or on IE, to make sure that Arabic text in
database are really UTF8.

Here's the images: http://www3.mapasia.com/jackout/ara.png

The part of the map file is as follow, where the "arbic-trans" is a Arabic
TrueType font named "Arabic Transparent":
LABEL
ANGLE FOLLOW
PRIORITY [priority]
ENCODING "UTF-8"