[mapserver-users] Ubuntu libpdf support for Mapserver

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Nov 17 09:06:56 EST 2008

Roger André wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm just about done building a fresh copy of Mapserver 5.2 on my Ubuntu
> 8.04 machine and have one final snag to overcome - PDF support.  I've
> specified "--with-pdf" in my compile options, but when I look carefully,
> I see "libpdf not found or too old", and my resulting mapserv executable
> lacks PDF support.  Problem is that there doesn't seem to be a "libpdf",
> or "pdflib" package for Ubuntu, so I'm not really sure what to do.

You could get the PDFLib lite source from
http://www.pdflib.com/download/pdflib-family/pdflib-lite/ and compile it
locally on your system. The usual 'configure; make; make install' recipe
should install it to /usr/local/bin by default, and then using
--with-pdf=/usr/local on your Mapserver configure line should do the trick.

Please see also the README.CONFIGURE file in the MapServer source
package which has some notes about building PDFLib vs libpng and zlib
that you may need to take into account... i.e. you may have to configure
your pdflib '--with-pnglib --with-zlib' as it is suggested there.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/