[mapserver-users] Confirmation of status of UTF8 support, and where transcoding to Latin-1 may be happening.

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Sat Nov 22 13:08:57 EST 2008

   I have a customer that is using MapServer, talking through ArcSDE to
an Oracle database.

   When we do a GetFeatureInfo we notice that substitutions from the
database have been transcoded from UTF8 (how the data is stored in the
Oracle Database) to Latin-1 being output from MapServer (as viewed by
the browser).  Other aspects of the page are UTF8 encoded, and the
server is otherwise configured to set character encoding to UTF8.  The
intention is to have everything be UTF8 from end-to-end (It is
departmental standard).

   Legends and other such things are coming out correctly.

   When we connect directly to the ArcSDE server via the ArcGIS Desktop
products the characters are displayed 'correctly', but not knowing these
tools well I don't know if that means they are recognizing the Latin-1
character set correctly and displaying that or recognizing the UTF8
characters and displaying that.  We aren't using any characters that
couldn't be correctly transcoded from UTF8 to Latin-1.  Either way,
these tools are being told the correct character encoding and displaying
correctly.

   We are looking for options of where to look next.  I'm not the person
who compiled MapServer with the ArcSDE 9.2 SDK, but can easily confirm
things with them if I knew what questions I should be asking.  Is there
a quick way to confirm what character encoding is being output from
ArcSDE so that we will know we need to be looking at settings there (IE:
the NLS_LANG settings for SDE connecting to Oracle), or looking for
something on the machine running Mapserver that is doing the transcoding.

Thank you for any help!

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"