[mapserver-users] Re: php mapscript objects in session?

jim white jbw2003 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 22 14:32:21 EST 2008

Howard Butler wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2008, at 5:35 PM, jim white wrote:
>> There must be a way to persist a mapscript object, but I don't know
>> enough of OO design to tell you the answer.
>
> Ah, MapScript object persistence... the restless leg syndrome of
> MapServer. Though neither convenient nor pretty, the One True Way (TM)
> to persist MapScript objects is the mapfile format.  Every other
> approach will just cause hair loss, unexplained rashes, nausea, and
> memory leakage.
>
> The UpdateFromString and save methods are the way to go.  Your target
> MapScript language has no problem persisting strings, and you don't
> have to worry about the mess of object lifetimes that might result
> from trying to light up a once dead mapObj.
>
> Howard

I searched Mapserver site for UpdateFromString and found only MS RFC 31:
function and print out the file which did work. However, my 2 attempts
failed.

$map->UpdateFromString('saved_map.txt');  got Call to undefined method
ms_map_obj::UpdateFromString()

 and

$map2 = msLoadMapFromString('saved_map.txt'); got Call to undefined
function msLoadMapFromString()

I am using mapserver 5.0.0

Jim

--