[mapserver-users] install issues

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Nov 23 08:19:38 EST 2008

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/usr/lib/cgi-bin/world.map&request=get

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/usr/lib/cgi-bin/world.map&mode=browse
 >> &layers=all&mode=map
 >>
 >> But it sounds that the map-file is just not there?

Hi Chris,

in mapserv-lingua a 'map-file' is a init-file for the mapserv-executable
that is running as a cgi in you webserver (apache).

in the instructions there is a link to a mapfile stub:
http://www.duif.net/postgis/world.map
(please change username/password in it for the postgresql connection)
It's this mapfile that should sit next to the cgi and from which the cgi
gets the information where to find data to paint your map-image.
And it's that mapfile that is not next to your cgi apparently.

shp2img is just a shortcut/another way to instruct mapserv to generate
an image based on a map(definition)file.

be sure that you mapfile is readable for the user that is running your
webserver (which by the way should not be root). The user is probably
www-data or somethink like that. Use
ps -ef
for example to find out WHO is running /usr/bin/apache

have a dive into this one:
http://ms.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/cgi
and
http://www.zzee.com/solutions/linux-permissions.shtml

hope this helps.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde
ps sending this to the list also so other newbies benefit from your
questions also.