[mapserver-users] Confirmation of status of UTF8 support, andwhere transcoding to Latin-1 may be happening.

Nelson Soto NSoto at plotplans.com
Mon Nov 24 09:42:01 EST 2008

The problem, it seems, is with Mapserver's UTF-8-type of support. To
clarify, UTF-8 is supported just fine in Mapserver, but if it is a
UTF-typeof encoding, then it tried to convert to UTF-8 which doesn't
seem to work well.

The data is in latin1 but is Unicode encoded, so that you achieve the
same thing in most environments and just about every program can
interpret this. Mapserver does have a little trouble with this. The
thing is, though, that it isn't so much ArcSDE as it is MSSQL, I think.
Could be wrong on that part but to make a long story short, I think
Mapserver is the component that converts the unicoded encoded latin1
into something that doesn't work. It's a standard-based process, I
think, so I doubt anything will change on the SDE half of it for the
seeming future.

Not finger-pointing, I'm just expressing my interpretation of the
situation.

You can dump your ArcSDE config to a file and disable UNICODE_ENCODING
(I think that's the name of the field) and then reimport the file into
SDE and this will mean the collation and encoding will remain latin1 in
your case, but you will need to re-import all of your SDE data for the
change to take affect. This proved to be unsatisfactory for us and we
decided to take a 'wait-and-see' approach.