[mapserver-users] 64 bit Windows OS

Bruce Cheney BLC at JUB.com
Tue Oct 28 09:53:22 EDT 2008

Thank you Tamas and Frank.  I believe that effectively answers my
questions.  We are running C#, ASP.Net on a Win64 machine so the setup
requires (or would best be suited for) a 64bit version. In the stated
situation the 32 bit version does not work. So we may leave the machine
in 64 bit and set the site to 32 bit in IIS or venture down the path of
building all the libraries for 64 bit. If we switch the site to 32bit we
may then be able to use the extra RAM through the OS as overflow.

In venturing down the 64 bit path I am most concerned about all the
supporting libraries being converted/compiled for 64bit. If this is
laborious as you say then I also would assume it means it requires
enough knowledge to get all the ducks lined up correctly.  This path may
be one for me to venture down during a significantly large development
cycle - if ever.

With the direction of all new hardware being 64 bit will the standard
distribution of mapserver become also 64 bit?  Unless in a majority of
situations it just doesn't make any difference.

Bruce Cheney
Gateway Mapping, Inc
www.gatewaymapping.com
801.221.7656