[mapserver-users] Brand New User

Bob Pawley rjpawley at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 3 13:19:57 EDT 2008

Hi

This is my first foray into servers et al. I have a couple of questions for
anyone who wishes to answer.

I have downloaded ms4w (Windows install package) installed it and tested for
working by asking for version number through command line as well as an HTTP
request to mapserver.exe. Both were successful.

Eventually I want to access a Postgis database.

I have also downloaded Workshp -5 and installed it under ms4w/Apache/htdocs

My first challenge comes with setting the url and pathways in Workshop-5 Map
File and html pages.

I want to set the system up as a local app until I get it running.

1. Can Someone give me a url and pathway example of a local setup? (I've
attempted variations on localhost and localhost.localdomain with no
success).

2. Since Map File appears to be project oriented is this a file that I need
to generate in order to access Poistgis?

Bob