[mapserver-users] Fractional line widths?

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Thu Sep 4 22:10:53 EDT 2008

Thomas,

Thanks for the tip, but I think I don't quite understand the right
syntax.

First of all, I'm running the mac binary from kyngchaos, version 5.2.0

I've tried to add two style blocks like:

   LAYER
     NAME         world_opacity
     DATA         world_borders.shp
     STATUS      ON
     TYPE          POLYGON
     CLASS
       NAME       "World"
       STYLE
         COLOR                 242 239 249
         OUTLINECOLOR    -1 -1 -1
       END
       STYLE
         COLOR                 -1 -1 -1
         OUTLINECOLOR   127 127 127
         OPACITY 50
         WIDTH 1
       END
     END # class
   END # layer

to create this full mapfile: http://mapnik-utils.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tutorials/hello_world/mapserver_comparison/mapfile_config/world.map

But that does not produce a result more akin to WIDTH 0.5, from what I
can tell. It simply lightens the color of the outline, and in this
case make it 'seem' even thicker. It is as if the opacity is not
working as a true alpha opacity.

Here is the example output with OPACITY 50:

http://mapnik-utils.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tutorials/hello_world/mapserver_comparison/mapfile_config/map/hello_world_with_mapserver_mapfile_opacity.png

Is this the expected behavior or have I made an error in my mapfile
syntax (highly likely). Perhaps I am not correctly turning off the
outline for the first style?

The issue may also be with my OUTPUTFORMAT, which is not using the RGBA:

   OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME 'AGG'
    DRIVER AGG/PNG
    IMAGEMODE RGB
    MIMETYPE "image/png"
   END

I also tried with:

   OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME 'AGGA'
    DRIVER AGG/PNG
    IMAGEMODE RGBA
    MIMETYPE "image/png"
   END

but I get an error when I add the 'AGGA' (based on reading http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/agg-rendering-specifics)
:

msPostMapParseOutputFormatSetup(): General error message. Unable to
select IMAGETYPE `AGG'.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dane