[mapserver-users] MapServer and Microsoft VirtualEarth

Chris Holmes chomie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 10:15:08 EDT 2008

And if you're stuck with using Virtual Earth as a client, instead of the
preferred route of using OpenLayers to pull tiles from Virtual Earth,
there's recent work to make it easier to get tiles from VE or GMaps direct
from MapServer, see http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-43

If your data is static, you can also stick GeoWebCache or TileCache in front
of MapServer, which will cache it and speed it up response times even more.

See http://geowebcache.org/trac/wiki/virtual_earth

and

http://openlayers.org/pipermail/tilecache/2008-February/000815.html

(there may be better ve docs for TileCache, I don't know it that well)

Chris