[mapserver-users] How to improve raster imagery display ?

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Mon Sep 15 14:28:54 EDT 2008

Good luck with your new assignment. You did a great
job on TopoZone.

A question for everybody on the list. When I go to
the Archives at
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-users/
and download the GZiped text file, I don't get
good text even after converting from UNIX to
DOS format. I get garbage like this:
œÔ⢲ž|¼…öò¥b!#²E¨ø›­”ÊðÝ(–JùÂüZ`C¸uÍËã«<€{D

Can anybody suggest a method of obtaining the archives
in text format for easy searching?

Mike Flannigan

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008, ed at mcnierney.com wrote:

 >Folks -
 >
 >I would suggest searching the mailing list archives for the many posts
mentioning "McNierney", or "TopoZone" or "raster" or all three, as I've
posted at length and repeatedly on this sort of topic before. Others
have done so as well - I just remember my own writings better <g>. I
successfully served over 50 TB of raster imagery to relatively heavy
user loads with MapServer, and commented frequently on the approach I used.

 >The most important point is to preprocess as much as possible. In this
case that means (a) avoiding resampling by storing the data at the
permitted output resolutions, and (b) storing the data in an
uncompressed simple raster format. PNG is an option, as is TIFF. If you
need 24-bit data you may want to consider tiled TIFFs using JPEG
compression as a compromise (again, search the archives for this topic,
especially comments by Frank Warmerdam).