[mapserver-users] Ed's Rules for the Best Raster Performance

Jim Klassen Jim.Klassen at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Sep 15 17:48:37 EDT 2008

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tested the performance of Jpegs vs. GeoTiffs?

I would expect at some point the additional disk access time required for GeoTiffs (of the same pixel count) as Jpegs would outweigh the additional processor time required to decompress the Jpegs. (Also the number of Jpegs that can fit in disk cache is greater than for similar GeoTiffs.)

For reference we use 1000px by 1000px Jpeg tiles (with world files). We store multiple resolutions of the dataset, each in its own directory. We start at the native dataset resolution, and half that for each step, stopping when there are less than 10 tiles produced at that particular resolution. (I.e for one of our county wide datasets 6in/px, 1ft/px, 2ft/px, ... 32ft/px). A tileindex is then created for each resolution (using gdaltindex followed by shptree) and a layer is created in the mapfile for each tileindex and appropriate min/maxscales are set. The outputformat in the mapfile is set to jpeg.

Our typical tile size is 200KB. There are about 20k tiles in the 6in/px dataset, 80k tiles in the 3in/px dataset (actually 4in data, but stored in 3in so it fits with the rest of the datasets well). I have tested and this large number of files in a directory doesn't seem to effect performance on our system.

Average access time for a 500x500px request to mapserver is 300ms measured at the client using perl/LWP and about 220ms with shp2img.

Machine is mapserver 5.2.0/x86-64/2.8GHz Xeon/Linux 2.6.16/ext3 filesystem.

Jim Klassen
City of Saint Paul

>>> "Fawcett, David" <David.Fawcett at state.mn.us> 09/15/08 1:10 PM >>>
Better yet,

Add your comments to:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/optimizeraster

and

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/optimizevector

I had always thought that all we needed to do to make these pages great
was to grok the list for all of Ed's posts...

David.