[mapserver-users] Ed's Rules for the Best Raster Performance

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Tue Sep 16 16:26:47 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I work with Jim, so I suppose I should add some stuff here.

We use Jpegs for Aerial Photography only, and PNGs for everything else,
for the same reasons stated here.   I'll let Jim talk to the technical
stuff related to the pyramiding process as he put it all together into
an automated process.

Just to clear up some small points, we only store 1000x1000 pixel images
behind MapServer for serving of the raster data sets, no more than four
(4) of these source images should (in the majority of cases) need to be
accessed per web call.

bobb