[mapserver-users] rotation of vector symbol

Alberto Poggi albpoggi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 04:26:24 EDT 2008

Hi.
Let me tell you about an issue of rotation of the vector symbols. I
found that in mapserver the rotation of these symbols does not follow
the classic rules that provide for the starting rotation in sequence
from east to the north, west and south. I published my work with
PMAPPER and MAPSERVER and I noticed that the rotation is done on the
other hand (east, south, west and north), and only on symbols of a
vector. This problem on the labelling does not exist and the rotation
is correct.
The layer referenced for symbol is a postgis table that contains a
field "rotazione" used by MapServer for the rotation of symbols. The
display of symbols is right but the rotation is done wrong.
This is the definition of my symbol:
SYMBOL
  NAME "valvola"
  TYPE vector
  POINTS
    0 0
    1.5 1
    1.5 0
    0 1
    0 0
  END
  FILLED TRUE
END
 and this is the notation in the mapfile:
LAYER
  NAME "Valvole"
  TYPE POINT
  CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
  CONNECTION "user=****** password=***** dbname=ACQUA host=localhost"
  DATA "the_geom FROM valvole"
  STATUS DEFAULT
  MAXSCALE 5001
  TOLERANCE 10
  TOLERANCEUNITS pixels
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:32632"
  END

  METADATA
    "DESCRIPTION" "Valvole"
    "RESULT_FIELDS" "comune,localita"
    "RESULT_HEADERS" "Comune,Località"
    "LAYER_ENCODING" "UTF-8"
    "ows_title"      "Dati valvole"
  END  # Metadata

  CLASS
        NAME   "Valvole"

        STYLE
        SYMBOL 'valvola'
        COLOR   0 255 255
        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
        ANGLE [rotazione]
        SIZE 8
        END
  END
  TEMPLATE void
END

It's me that something wrong or is a known problem? Thank you.