[mapserver-users] Geometry_columns

Jeppe Lund Andersen JXA at cowi.dk
Wed Sep 17 10:23:57 EDT 2008

Hello all

Wrote a few days ago but did not get any replay so I try again.

I upgradede mapserver from 4.8.4 to version 5.2 and gdal from 1.3.2. to
1.5.2

Now I get this error
Warning: [MapServer Error]: msDrawMap(): Failed to draw layer named
'ODBC'. in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\jar3\xmlkort.php on line 591
Warning: [MapServer Error]: msOGRFileNextShape(): No column definitions
found for table 'test', layer not usable. in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\jar3\xmlkort.php on line 591 Fatal error: Call to a
member function on a non-object in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\jar3\xmlkort.php
on line 621

I found out that I had a row i geometry_columns that did not have a view
with that name, this was not a problem in mapserver 4.8.4

found in mapogr.cpp
static int
msOGRFileNextShape(layerObj *layer, shapeObj *shape,
                   msOGRFileInfo *psInfo )

that this code has been changed

***** cut out *****
**** from 5.2 ****

if( (hFeature = OGR_L_GetNextFeature( psInfo->hLayer )) == NULL )
      {
          if( CPLGetLastErrorType() == CE_Failure )
          {
              msSetError(MS_OGRERR, "%s", "msOGRFileNextShape()",
                         CPLGetLastErrorMsg() );
              RELEASE_OGR_LOCK;
              return MS_FAILURE;
          }
          else
          {
              RELEASE_OGR_LOCK;
              if (layer->debug >= MS_DEBUGLEVEL_VV)
                  msDebug("msOGRFileNextShape: Returning MS_DONE (no
more shapes)\n" );
              return MS_DONE;  // No more features to read
          }
      }

***** cut out *****

***** cut out *****
*** from 4.8.4 ****

 if( (poFeature = psInfo->poLayer->GetNextFeature()) == NULL )
      {
          return MS_DONE;  // No more features to read
      }

***** cut out *****

do you see any problem in changing the code to

 	if( (hFeature = OGR_L_GetNextFeature( psInfo->hLayer )) == NULL
)
      {
            return MS_DONE;  // No more features to read
     	}
so that it doesnot check all rows in geometry_columns
and is there a reason why all rows in geometry_columns should have a
matching view ?

Jeppe Lund Andersen