[mapserver-users] GRID or not to GRID (USNG question)

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Sep 19 12:00:42 EDT 2008

Bob,

 I now get the username dialog when I try to turn on layers.

I think you will be able to get some improvement with the GRID Layer's LABEL POSITION settings, but in the end it will not be perfect.  To get a finer level of control over the GRID LABELs, we need to introduce some more map file objects.

Here's some of my notes from March (the last time we talked about this)

    Need concept of margin so phantom lines in margin not labeled

    Labels should be gapped relative to margin/neatline, not extent of output graphic file
        - gap should be user-settable parameter

    Text placement must take into account non-90 deg map rotation (must include dx and dy of text box)

So possible map file objects might be:

    MARGIN
        WIDTH:    width specified in pixels (left, right, top, bottom?)
        SHAPE:    PROJECTED, GEOGRAPHIC (follows curved graticule lines)
        TRANSPARENCY: 0 - 100 %
    TICS: length in pixels (left, right, top, bottom?)
    NEATLINE: thickness, style
    ANNO:         GAP: in pixels from margin/neatline, or as mult of text size
        ORIENTATION: UP, PARALLEL
    LABEL:         FORMAT:   deg/min/sec symbols, linear units
        STYLE:    sub/superscript (see USNG, or UTM labels on Canadian NTS sheets)
        TRUNCATE: full/partials

    others?...

And I have no idea how polar projection map GRID labels would be spec'd out.

That should get the creative juices flowing...

Brent