[mapserver-users] display wind or current arrow map

akrherz at iastate.edu akrherz at iastate.edu
Wed Sep 24 09:46:08 EDT 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Ron Goldman wrote:

> I have a netcdf containing the Lon/Lat components of winds and currents
> and I want to display them on an arrow map. Is there a way to do this?
> so far I only found a way to do this for point shapefiles, but my data
> is composed of two rasters. any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

Hi Ron,

Do you need to do this within the Mapserver CGI environment or can you use
Mapscript to generate your images?  If you can use mapscript, you can
write your own logic to figure out the rotation values based on the
components.

If you are stuck without mapscript, you could use another tool to add a
rotation variable to your NetCDF file and then directly use it in your
mapfile for symbol rotation (I believe this is now supported in 5.2.0)...

Others on this list may have more clever ideas.

daryl