[mapserver-users] Extracting X,Y from MULTIPOINT data

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Mon Aug 10 09:51:58 EDT 2009

Suman Chatterjee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some multipoint data in postgis that I got from street
> intersections. But I am not able to extract the X,Y coordinates from the
> MULTIPOINT data.
>
> Is there any function in postgis by which I can extract the X,Y point
> data from them?
>
> Please help!
>

> Thanks,
>
> Suman

Yes.  Are you looking for all points?  Just the first?  Some subset?
How do you want to see it?

Did you try ST_AsText(col)?

There is also ST_NumPoints(geometry) and ST_PointN(geometry,integer) if
you want to look at them individually.  An example of what youd like to
see, or what you are trying to do might be helpful.

More functions here:

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.3/ch06.html

-Andy