[mapserver-users] MapServer and SLD/SE

Alexander Reichelt alexander.reichelt at gmx.de
Tue Aug 11 15:58:24 EDT 2009

Hi list,

I've got some issues with the MapServer and SLD/SE 1.1.0:
1. I can't rotate my labels. They are displaying the string value I'm
reading out of a PostGIS table correctly. But the real value standing
for an angle they doesn't seem to use. My TextSymbolizer looks like this:

<se:TextSymbolizer>
    <se:Label>content</se:Label>
    <se:Font>
        <se:SvgParameter name="font-family">arialbold</se:SvgParameter>
        <se:SvgParameter name="font-size">10.00</se:SvgParameter>
    </se:Font>
    <se:LabelPlacement>
        <se:PointPlacement>
            <se:AnchorPoint>
                <se:AnchorPointX>0.5</se:AnchorPointX>
                <se:AnchorPointY>0.5</se:AnchorPointY>
            </se:AnchorPoint>
            <se:Rotation>
                <ogc:PropertyName>angle</ogc:PropertyName>
            </se:Rotation>
        </se:PointPlacement>
    </se:LabelPlacement>
    <se:Fill>
        <se:SvgParameter name="fill">#000000</se:SvgParameter>
    </se:Fill>
</se:TextSymbolizer>

When I type in a fix value like 220.5 then it works and all labes are
displayed with this angle. The curious thing is, when I exchanged the
content item with the angle item then the angle item was displayed, so
the MapServer does have access to the angle item. Is it possible that
there's a typecast which casts the real value of the angle into a
string? How can I check this? I've tried to change the XML elements but
nothing helped me so far.

2.  MapServer doesn't support TrueType symbols for PointSymbolizers, is
this correct? The website states that MapServer supports Well-known
names. I've tried to point on a .ttf file and use MarkIndex to get out a
symbol but I had no success.

Thank you in advance
Alex