[mapserver-users] mapscript - Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php/modules/php_mapscript.so' undefined symbol: gdImagePngCtx

ted_s tspradley at snoogems.com
Wed Aug 12 12:17:59 EDT 2009

Following up - a general Unix reminder that was a minor stumbling block when
checking:

# mapserv -v

and finding that my configure settings were not present.  Always do a 'make
clean', then 'make'!

                                                  Semi-resolved

So, Apache's error log now contains

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/lib/php/modules/php_mapscript.so' -
/usr/lib/php/modules/php_mapscript.so: undefined symbol: php_gd_gdImageCopy

However, running mapserv from the command line gives the proper response

# mapserv
This script can only be used to decode form results and
should be initiated as a CGI process via a httpd server.

and now running the script phpinfo_mapscript.phtml including the
dl("php_mapscript.so") runs properly and shows Mapserver/Mapscript as a
correctly configured PHP module ...

Sorry for the long post.  I seemed to have answered my question in the
process of asking it, but am sure I will run into the php_gd_gdImageCopy as
a problem, but will cross that bridge when I come to it and refer back to
this post.  Hope this helps someone.  I have seen this same issue in the
archives for years with no definitive posts on the outcome.