[mapserver-users] How to Check if MapScript is Enabled?

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Wed Aug 19 14:37:29 EDT 2009

Bill Thoen wrote:
> I want to take a look at dLegend in the dBox package but dBox (and
> presumably dLegend)  requires either Perl or Python mapscript to be
> installed with MapServer. I've forgotten how to check if, or which,
> mapscript is installed. When I try ./mapserv -v from the cgi-bin
> directory, mapscript isn't among the results, but I don't know if this
> means it's not installed or if I need to use another method to determine
> the mapscript availability. I probably wouldn't have installed a Perl
> version and definitely wouldn't install a Python version because I don't
> know these environments well. I don't remember if I tried the PHP
> version., but I'm not finding any evidence that PHP mapscript is
> installed either. I just want to know how to make sure what's in and
> what's not.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions you can offer.
>

> Thanks,
> - Bill Thoen

The program mapserv is not required for mapscript.  To find out if its
in php, view the php info, which is easiest with a page like:

<?PHP
    echo phpinfo();
?>

To see if its in perl, at a command line, type:

perl -Mmapscript -e ''

if nothing happens, your golden, otherwise you'll get an error saying it
cant locate mapscript.pm.

dunno about python.

-Andy