[mapserver-users] Mapserver consuming Google Maps

Marco Foi (marco.foi) marco.foi at unimi.it
Wed Aug 26 11:13:53 EDT 2009

Some time ago a similar issue was raised among UDig users and the conclusion was that:
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to consume Google Maps in Desktop clients.

The reason is simple: Google does NOT ALLOW this to happen.
Basically each request for a map tile must come from another server having its own public IP.
Each request coming from a Desktop client would be dropped after very few answers.

Using Mapserver would be a workaround but would BROKE the LICENSE agreement.

Marco Foi