[mapserver-users] Mapserver consuming Google Maps

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Aug 26 15:01:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 01:25:11PM -0400, Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH wrote:
> What about using the Google Maps static API and making multiple calls and
> tiling? Is that within the TOS?

The Google Maps static API doesn't let you pass in a bounding box, it lets
you pas in a 'center and zoom'. The resulting tile will not always be
centered exactly on that point such that it can be tiled, based on what
I understand: Requests are still based around a grid, it's just not one
that's obvious, iiuc.

That said, I have no idea if this is within the Terms of Use.

It also has other side effects; Google logo on each tile, etc. so it's not
a great solution even if it does work, but would probably be better for
desktop solutions which have a single view that they want to display
data over, as I understand it.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt