[mapserver-users] Dynamically update layers without service interruption

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Dec 10 11:31:36 EST 2009

The key to this is to minimize the time that the data and mapfile are
potententially out of sync or the time a file might be being updated so
that it is in a state of flux that might cause an error if a request
tries to read the file while it is being updated.

I have managed this in the past with parallel data trees and a symbolic
link on Linux.

/path/to/data/
/path/to/data/imagesA
/path/to/data/imagesB
/path/to/data/images -> imagesA or imagesB

the map file points to /path/to/data/images and that is a symbolic link
to either imagesA or imagesB, for example lets say imagesA

So the update process would be something like:

# sync your A and B trees
rsync -s imagesA/* imagesB/.

# update the images in imagesB and the mapfile in imagesB

# make imagesB live
(cd /path/to/data/; rm images; ln -s imagesB images)

# if you want to rollback to imagesA
(cd /path/to/data/; rm images; ln -s imagesA images)

Hope this helps,
   -Steve W