[mapserver-users] How do I use ASRP maps in mapserver?

Alans alan.stratford at goodrich.com
Tue Dec 15 04:41:54 EST 2009

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Alans wrote:
>>

>> Even Rouault wrote:
>>> Alan,
>>>
>>> SRP driver has been added into GDAL SVN trunk a few months ago, so it
>>> will be part of the GDAL 1.7.0 release.
>>>

>> It does not seem to matter which version of GDAL I try, gdalinfo
>> MyFile.IMG
>> always reports
>> 'MyFile.IMG not recognised as a supported format'.
>>
>> The most recent version of GDAL that I tried was
>> gdal-svn-trunk-2009.12.14.
>> 'gdalinfo --version' reports 'GDAL 1.7.0dev, released 2008/11/26'. Where
>> does this strange date come from?
>>
>> 'gdalinfo --formats' does list SRP as a supported format.
>> srpdataset.cpp is present in the frmts/adrg directory.
>>
>> Just in case it is important, I had to configure GDAL with '--without
>> -libtool' to get it to build on my system (SLES 10).
>
> Alan,
>
> I suspect there is something particular about your file(s) that is causing
> problems for the driver, or perhaps you are missing some associated files.
>
> Running gdalinfo with the --debug on switch might give some additional
> information.
>
> eg.
>
>    gdalinfo --debug on A2976101.IMG
>
> If that doesn't give any help, I would be willing to look into the problem
> if you can provide the data to me.  I would appreciate an opportunity to
> examine the data if it may reflect an issue with the driver.
>
> Best regards,
> --

Hi Frank,

I ran gdalinfo with debug and it produced the following results:

alan at stratford:~/gdal/gdal-svn-trunk-2009.12.14 15% apps/gdalinfo --debug on
/nashome/noBackup/map_CDs/UK_1to50k/03/ASRP/GUK166/GUK16601.IMG
SRP: NAM=GUK166
SRP: SCA=50000
SRP: ZNA=3
SRP: PSP=66.700000
GDALPamDataset: In destructor with dirty metadata.
ERROR 4: `/nashome/noBackup/map_CDs/UK_1to50k/03/ASRP/GUK166/GUK16601.IMG'
not recognised as a supported file format.

gdalinfo failed - unable to open
'/nashome/noBackup/map_CDs/UK_1to50k/03/ASRP/GUK166/GUK16601.IMG'.
GDAL: GDALDeregister_GTiff() called.

Does this help diagnose the problem?

The GUK16601.IMG file has the following associated files; GUK16601.GER,
GUK16601.GEN, GUK16601.SOU and GUK16601.QAL.

I am investigating the legalities regarding sending the data file, or
possibly finding other files that exhibit the same issues. Do you know of
any data online that I could use?

Thanks for your interest,
Alan