[mapserver-users] Re: [OpenLayers-Users] WFS Server Control output by scale?

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Fri Feb 6 08:49:22 EST 2009

Hi Stephen,

Like Eric said, using minScale and maxScale in your layer options should
do what you're want to do.

I also had a similar problem trying to display vector polygons at small
scales ( like 1:13000000 ). Here's what I did :

- I determined fixed scales to work with
- I normalized my shapefile to have one per scale
- Then you can have one Layer.WFS per data set only visible when at
their scale OR you could use the customized Options-by-zoom strategy I
made, see the example (1).

Best of luck,

Alexandre

(1) http://dev4.mapgears.com/bdga/options-by-zoom-bdga.html

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using mapserver as a WFS server with OpenLayers to serve some
> polygons. How does one control at what scale mapserver will respond to
> WFS requests. It looks like OpenLayers makes its request based on a
> min/max extents. How do you control this? Can you easily limit when
> OpenLayers makes request if you are using fixed scales based on the
> scale? or control mapserver based on size/area of extent?
>
> I'm not seeing anything in either projects documentation.
>
> I could use a clue or pointer to docs.
>
> Thanks,
>    -Steve

Alexandre Dubé