[mapserver-users] c# or php?

Shimomura, Michele L.- Environmental Health Michele.Shimomura at denvergov.org
Fri Feb 6 11:13:21 EST 2009

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to MapServer and I've created some proof of concept apps,
but I'm at a decision point for how to move forward and would like to
hear others' opinions.

First, the small applications that I created were in Visual Studio 2008
using the c# mapscript that came with the MS4W package, but now I've
found out that our Windows 2003 server is running IIS 6 in 64-bit mode.

So, my question is:

1) Can I compile everything to work in Windows and 64 bit and are there
instructions on how to do that somewhere? In googling, I read something
about buildbot, but that site seems to be down.

            2) Or, would I be better off just using Apache and the PHP
mapscript?

I'll be integrating these maps into a SharePoint Intranet environment
(built in c#), so that's why my preference is towards that way.  And if
I go with #2, I'm thinking I can still use my c# front end but then
create php web services to return functionality.  Also, eventually, the
functionality will need to be able to insert/update PostGreSQL spatial
data.

I would love to hear from others who have done this before because, if
possible, I'd like to avoid getting way down path only to have many
unexpected surprises.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michele