AW: [mapserver-users] Errors in trying to angle my labels.

Ron M rm_mapserv at cheapcomplexdevices.com
Thu Feb 12 15:48:41 EST 2009

Eichner, Andreas - SID-NLKM wrote:
> Not sure, but try again without the square brackets. I believe MapServer
> treats there content as column name. Since you used LABELANGLEITEM
> successfully the generalized ANGLE should also work...
> So try
>
> ANGLE
> "(180/3.141592654*atan2((y(endpoint(the_geom))-y(startpoint(the_geom))),
> (x(endpoint(the_geom))-x(startpoint(the_geom)))))"

Nope, no such luck.

The Mapserver 5 migration guide
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/branches/branch-5-0/mapserver/MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT
suggests that I should be using LABEL...ANGLE...END instead of LABELANGLEITEM,
and the mapserver docs for ANGLE say the square brackets are required.

But mapserver 5's ANGLE seems less flexible than mapserver 4's LABELANGLEITEM
in the ability to use complex expressions for the labels.

Is the best approach to create a view in the database for mapserver that
makes that expression look like a column?