[mapserver-users] CGI (FastCGI) mode versus Mapscript?

BrainDrain paulborodaev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 03:18:58 EST 2009

I can say about subj running on wintel systems (IIS).
I've successfully setup mapserv cgi on win2003 & iis 6 in fastcgi mode using
extension from iis.net.
Visually it has nearly 2-3x performance effect. Response speed increases
because of mapserv processes keep their instances (more than one in iis "web
garden powered" app pool) for future use. Winthout fastcgi I've observe cpu
overloading. Performance effect may be bigger with burden. I have a great
experience of developing wep apps using c# mapserver wrapper - this is great
opportunity to use c# power, linq to objects, lambda expressions, asp.net
script services/methods, json serializers, to extend mapserver classes with
new methods (using C# extension methods) - and this is REALLY helpful! But
in spite of wrapper uses swig technology (native c++ code calls) - image
generation is slightly slower vs mapserv.exe (but some times more correct
with peculiar image extents ... never mind). Also mapscript c# allow you to
use gdal c# and NTS.net.