[mapserver-users] trying new label positioning - no change

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Feb 18 00:33:24 EST 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 11:02 PM, Steve Lime wrote:

> William: In my testing a polygon layer is definitely starting at
> position CC.  Any chance
> you're using an annotation layer here? I have found an issue if
> that's the case. The decision
> to using one set of positions vs another is made based on the layer
> type NOT the geometry
> type. So annotation layers are treated as point layers regardless of
> the source geometry. As
> the code sits now that information is lost. Wasn't an issue
> previously since we didn't vary
> things. I'll file a bug on this issue.
>
> Let me know if this isn't the case for you.

Ohhhh.  I've always used annotation layers for feature annotation.
But, if it always treats annotation layers as point layers, why does
ANGLE FOLLOW work on annotation layers of line features, or gravity
positioning on annotation of poly features?  Or does that trigger
stepping out of the assumed-point default somehow?

I did notice when poking around in the source that the labelling
routines didn't know about the geometry of individual features.  In my
own early (v4.4) attempts at reordering the positions for polys
(before the recent changes) I added a parameter to the addlabel()
functions to pass the shapetype.

> One work around is to ditch annotation layers for polygons. They
> really aren't necessary with
> the addition of the label priority support in 5.0.

I'm not sure what you mean here - how does label priority invalidate
annotation layers?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin