[mapserver-users] Loading Geotiff to PostGIS

feigle feigle at 126.com
Wed Feb 18 01:33:02 EST 2009

Hi all,

I got one hill to climb when deloping application using mapserver.

I The porblem is, how to store raster
data in PostGIS/Postgres SQL. There are multiple ideas I am working on
right now

I have many satellite raster data in geotiff format (one image data is about 1 GB),
I am trying to load these raster data into PostGIS and then wants to render them
in web browser through mapserve r(just display them on a top layer acoording to
the query extent).

my questions are

1. Can we store actually raster data directly in PostgreSQL or PostGIS or
we should store it in outside of PostGIS and have some sort ofreference to
 PostGIS with other data.

2. If we can store the raster data directly in PostGIS, how can upload geotiff
image to PostGIS? i know PostGIS can not support raster data input.

3. can mapserver query the PostGIS efficiently with the huge geotiff data?

I am a newer to mapserver and PostGIS, Is there someone has the experience with
Mapserver PostGIS to handle geotiff image. Any hints and suggestion will be very
appreciated. the better one is posting some codes here(if convenient).
Thanks very much in advance!

Feigle