[mapserver-users] Loading Geotiff to PostGIS

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Feb 18 08:18:20 EST 2009

feigle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got one hill to climb when deloping application using mapserver.
>
> I The porblem is, how to store raster
> data in PostGIS/Postgres SQL. There are multiple ideas I am working on
> right now
>
> I have many satellite raster data in geotiff format (one image data is
> about 1 GB),
> I am trying to load these raster data into PostGIS and then wants to
> render them
> in web browser through mapserve r(just display them on a top layer
> acoording to
> the query extent).
>
> my questions are
>
> 1. Can we store actually raster data directly in PostgreSQL or PostGIS or
> we should store it in outside of PostGIS and have some sort ofreference to
>  PostGIS with other data.
>
> 2. If we can store the raster data directly in PostGIS, how can upload
> geotiff
> image to PostGIS? i know PostGIS can not support raster data input.
>
> 3. can mapserver query the PostGIS efficiently with the huge geotiff data?
>
> I am a newer to mapserver and PostGIS, Is there someone has the
> experience with
> Mapserver PostGIS to handle geotiff image. Any hints and suggestion will
> be very
> appreciated. the better one is posting some codes here(if convenient).
> Thanks very much in advance!

Here's a good page for you to read about the PostGIS-raster progress:
http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?RasterNotes

Myself, I would just keep the image as a geotiff (which is the most
optimal format for rasters in MapServer), and possibly add overviews to
that file (http://www.gdal.org/gdaladdo.html).

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna