[mapserver-users] How does MINDISTANCE work exactly?

GMail cheung.jackey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 20:48:51 EST 2009

Greetings!

We are using MapServer 5.2.0, and we've got a long line to render with
labels.

The CLASS goes as:
	CLASS
		NAME			"Local Road (2.5K)"
		MINSCALEDENOM		2500
		MAXSCALEDENOM		5000
		EXPRESSION		"3430"
		STYLE
			WIDTH		8
			COLOR		96 96 96
		END
		STYLE
			WIDTH		6
			COLOR		255 255 255
		END
		LABEL
			ANGLE		FOLLOW
			PRIORITY	8
			ENCODING	"UTF-8"
			COLOR		0 0 0
			OUTLINECOLOR	255 255 255
			TYPE		TRUETYPE
			FONT		arial
			SIZE		7
			POSITION	CC
			PARTIALS	FALSE
			MINDISTANCE	10
			BUFFER		1
			#MINFEATURESIZE AUTO
		END
	END

And we've got the attached image in result.

However, the image isn't what we were expecting. We expect that there should
be 3 to 4 labels along the line, since it's long enough to hold them, and
the MINDISTANCE is just 10 pixels. We've tried to change the POSITION to
left aligned, but still have the same resulting image.

What exactly goes wrong here? Or we've just misunderstood something?