[mapserver-users] Status on ticket 2582?

paalkr pal.kristensen at statkart.no
Fri Feb 20 17:16:45 EST 2009

Hi All!

I glad this issue got some focus, and I must say that I was kind of
surprised realizing that ticket 2582 only addressed the MapScript part.
Anyway, I'm very glad that Jeff now proposes a final solution for this
issue, that of course should be fixed in both cgi and MapScript, and for
every service type.

Jeffs proposal for a boolean metadata keyword, like ignore_layer sound OK,
but maybe ows_ignore_layer is more appropriate as the layer obviously shall
not be ignored, only the exposure in the GetCapabilities document. I think
the following aspects are  important to have in mind when resolving the
issue:

1) The hiding mechanism must not interfere with which layers that actually
are rendered (turned on) . This has to be controlled as before by the
STATUS, SCALE and DEPENDENCIES keywords.
2) What will happen if the hidden layer is inside a GROUP?
3) What will happen if all layers inside a GROUP is hidden? I would suggest
that the group layer is exposed as a single layer, in this way you could
have different resolution layers inside a GROUP and expose this as a single
layer to the end user. Often the different resolution layers are only
present to optimize rendering speed, and are not intended for the end user.
4) What will happen if the hidden layer is part of a group defined with the
wms_layer_group metadata tag?

Regards,
Pål Kristensen