[mapserver-users] Is using ECW format allowed or not? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Roppola, Antti - BRS Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Wed Feb 25 23:09:20 EST 2009

I just happened to be looking at the ERDAS web site the other day, and
noticed that there's been a relaese of the ECW SDK since the ER
Mapper/ERDAS merger. What caught my eye was changes to the SDK licensing
mentioned in the release notes:
"Product enhancements, including:

*	No more restrictions on the distribution of 'Server Software'
under the GPL-style Public Use License Agreement

Commercial Use.

Subject to all other terms of this Agreement, You are hereby granted a
nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to use the ECW/JP2 CODEC
SDK to create, use and distribute END APPLICATIONS that DECODE for
COMMERCIAL USES."

Also supporting this interpretation is the seperate royalty schedule for
Commercial use, it only lists ENCODING as a use where license fees are
due.

Cheers,

Antti